Volunteer and Professional Development Opportunity: Developing Leaders Program of Planned Parenthood of Metropolitan Washington
Planned Parenthood of Metropolitan Washington (PPMW) is looking for applicants to join its Developing Leaders Program, a 9-month long, volunteer-run program for individuals 24 to 35 who are passionate about reproductive health, choice, and justice. This program will serve as an “on-ramp” for individuals to become engaged and active supporters of PPMW. It will provide training, mentoring, and skill-building activities that will result in a lifelong, informed commitment to the movement to ensure that women have complete body autonomy and control over their own reproductive decision-making. Program participants will get the chance to be involved with PPMW’s advocacy, outreach, fundraising, education, and volunteer work, and PPMW Action Fund’s electoral work. The program year will run from September to May.
Program Activities will include:
● Retreat (September 6, 2014) - Participants get to know each other through structured activities and informal discussions as well as kick off the year with orientation to the program at a one weekend day retreat in September.
● Education - Participants learn from volunteer faculty about the basic areas of sexual and reproductive health policy and activism, the biology of reproductive health, contraception and abortion, and clinic operations through a series of presentations at group’s monthly meeting.
● Mentoring – Participants will have the opportunity to mentor and be mentored during the course of the year by connecting with youth health messengers, PPMW board members and/or PPMW DLP alumni.
● Group projects - Participants will work on a group project that furthers the goals of PPMW’s development, public affairs, education, and volunteer services departments.
● Applicants must be between the ages of 24 to 35
● Willingness to give or raise $300 minimum gift
● Must attend a one-day retreat and attend 80% of monthly meetings to be held on the second Tuesday of the month (October through May)
● Preference will be given to applicants not currently working in the reproductive health or reproductive justice fields
To apply: complete a brief application and send your resume and one letter of recommendation to email@example.com by COB July 25, 2014.