Print Page | Contact Us | Your Cart | Sign In | Register
Unemployment and Healthcare Information

Losing your job can be a frightening experience for some. If you find yourself without a job, though, it's definitely not the end of the world.

Unemployment happens, and there are plenty of resources out there to help get you back in the game.

A good first place to start is your state's department of labor website. Most will have information on training events, job search advice, and other forms of assistance for the unemployed. This usually includes a way to file for your unemployment insurance online. Democratic GAIN has put together a quick and easy resource to help you navigate the doldrums of unemployment.

How much is unemployment compensation?

Unemployment compensation (or unemployment insurance) is a way of receiving monetary income even after losing your job. All states feature an unemployment insurance program. The amount you will receive is usually based on how much you earned while most recently employed. You will typically receive a weekly payment for half a year (26 weeks) as long as you remain eligible.

Can everyone file an unemployment claim?

Note that many states have restrictions on the kinds of job loss that unemployment insurance protects against. Workers who quit voluntarily without showing cause, or who are fired from their job for misconduct, for example, may not be eligible for full benefits (or, in some cases, any benefits at all). In addition, some states require that you register in a state job-search database in order to receive your compensation.

That said, taking advantage of unemployment compensation is a great way to stay on your feet while searching for a job. You won’t have as much income as you did while working, but it will help you get by in the interim.

What do I need to file?

To file for unemployment compensation you'll need some of the following: Social security number, contact information of your last employer (name, address, and telephone number), your last day worked, reason for leaving the job, and recent wages-earned history. Non-US-citizens should have associated documentation on hand.

Please select your state from the table below for more information and to file a claim: